New: Leading through crisis video series
In November 2023 we brought together eight experienced crisis leaders and CEOs to hear their advice and lessons for all leaders to consider ahead of a crisis. Over the next few months we'll bring you the six-part short video series.
New: Stories from the trenches (part one)
Leaders looking after themselves and others during a crisis
How leaders should prepare for a crisis
The importance of decision-making during a crisis
Number one lessons from experienced crisis leaders.
Leading through a disaster or crisis - lessons from previous events
- NZ Red Cross: Leading in disaster recovery: a companion through the chaos. Described as a 'pocket book' of wisdom from over 100 recovery leaders around the world who share messages they wish they'd had.
Secretary-General of the NZ Red Cross, Sarah (Norm) Stuart-Black, outlines what organisations can do to prepare for a major disaster or crisis. Take a look at this short video clip from our webinar on 'Leading through uncertainty' in March 2023.
Communication is key to how leaders respond. Norm also explains how she approached a large group of angry, affected people in the aftermath of a roading closure following severe flooding.
- Hummingly: First 8 Cards for Calamity. The eight essential messages to help in the weeks after a disaster to help guide your leadership and communciations.
- Forum: Lessons from the pandemic. Research commissioned by the Forum in 2020 to identify what lessons could be learned to help us deal with any future crisis; be it another pandemic, natural disaster or other extreme event.
How leaders can provide 'predictability' for their people and those affected by disaster and crisis. Watch Dr Sarb Johal explain more in this clip from a March 2023 webinar on 'Leading through uncertainty'.
Two key lessons for leaders in the first weeks following a disaster - two-minute video from Hummingly
Directly related to Cyclone Gabrielle and the Auckland floods - January/February 2023
- Umbrella: Collective grief in the aftermath of Cyclone Gabrielle. This looks at some tips to help manage grief over the coming days and weeks.
- Institute of Directors: Guidance for Directors after Cyclone Gabrielle. This toolkit for boards aims to help them steer their organisations through the crisis and ongoing disruptions to operations.
- WorkSafe NZ: Keeping safe during cyclone and flooding recovery. This covers the regulator's guidance on how businesses and organisations need to manage risks to make sure working conditions are safe in areas affected by the flooding and cyclone.
- Construction Health and Safety NZ: Risk Guide to working on flood-damaged property. This is aimed at assisting those businesses involved in remediating flood damaged buildings and property.
- HASANZ: Factsheets on health and safety challenges following natural disasters.